We’re excited to announce more compatible vehicles, expanded API and security, plus our all-new Vehicle Test Simulator and Event-based Webhooks!
7 new compatible brands
To kick things off, we're excited to share that Smartcar has increased compatibility with 7 new car brands — 1 in all our supported regions, 2 in Europe, and 4 in Canada. This brings our total number of compatible vehicles to over 139 million across North America and Europe!
Smartcar-powered apps can now onboard users across the following new brands and regions:
- U.S., Europe, Canada - Mini
- Europe - Kia, Nissan EVs
- Canada - Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ram
Today, Smartcar is compatible with 26 car brands. Visit our compatibility page for a full list of our compatible vehicles, models, and supported endpoints!
Expanded vehicle data
We’re excited to announce that we’ve expanded compatibility for popular API endpoints and security.
- Tire pressure: Determine the air pressure reading of each vehicle tire in kilopascals or pounds per square inch. This endpoint is now available for Mini, BMW, Tesla (North America and Europe), Lexus and Toyota (U.S.).
- Electric vehicle data: Toyota and Lexus are leading the way for hybrid sales in the United States, especially with models like the Prius Prime and the Lexus LX450h. Smartcar-powered apps can now access EV battery levels, charging status, start and stop charge, and battery capacity for Lexus and Toyota.
- Two-factor authentication: Connected services increasingly offer two-factor authentication (2FA), and Smartcar Connect is now compatible with 2FA across even more brands — Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Lexus and Toyota.
Vehicle test simulator
As Smartcar continues to add vehicle compatibility for a wide range of use cases, we're also working hard to deliver the best developer experience for our users.
This month, we’re thrilled to introduce Vehicle Test Simulator, a new way to test your applications in realistic scenarios using any vehicle from 26 compatible brands.
Now, you can simulate live trips and retrieve accurate data from a vehicle of your choice without having to worry about the cost or logistics of physical test vehicles! You can even use this feature to run tests across multiple vehicles at the same time.
Check out a quick demo of this awesome new feature:
Event-based webhooks for EVs
We know that adjusting polling schedules and managing error cases can get complicated.
That’s why we built event-based webhooks.
With event-based webhooks, you no longer have to worry about polling vehicles. Instead, you can simply:
- Create a webhook on the Smartcar dashboard
- Request the read_charge_events permission in the Smartcar Connect workflow
- Subscribe the vehicle to your webhook
That's it! You can just sit back as your event data starts streaming in. 🪄
The initial release of event-based webhooks focuses on electric vehicles and supports the charging started, charging stopped, and charging complete events for Ford, Tesla, and Toyota vehicles.
Watch the full event and get started today!
We hope our latest features will help your app reach more users while giving your development team less to worry about.
▶️ Watch the replay of our Summer '22 Showcase to learn more about these new releases from our team.
To participate in our beta round for Vehicle Test Simulator and Event-based Webhooks, contact your Customer Success Manager today!
Vehicle brands, logos, and model names belong to their respective trademark holders and do not indicate endorsement or affiliation with Smartcar.